Who We Are
For almost four decades Roots Community Services Inc. (RootsCS), formerly United Achievers’ Community Services Inc. has provided culturally-sensitive and culturally-enriching programs to the Black, African and Caribbean (BAC)communities in the Region of Peel.
RootsCS partnered with agencies of the federal and provincial governments, the Region of Peel, the City of Brampton, other community service agencies and businesses to deliver programs and services that helped individuals and families from BAC communities improve their livelihood, and contributed to building stronger, safer communities in the Region.
The organization was established by the United Achievers’ Club in the mid-1980s to focus on addressing the needs identified primarily in the Black and Caribbean communities. The organization was incorporated in 1998 and in 2000, it received its charitable status, opening up the way to more funding opportunities.
The name was changed to Roots Community Services Inc. in 2019 after extensive consultation with the community members, funders, clients, staff and volunteers during its strategic planning process.
The strategic focus and work of RootsCS is deeply rooted in the passion of its founders. That passion is to provide pathways to wellness – programs and services that reduce, if not eliminate, social and racial inequities that are major barriers to the successful growth of strong families and individuals within BAC communities.
Over the years, RootsCS has developed capabilities and competencies that allow it to advocate for and deliver services to improve the overall health and well-being of its target population.
In keeping with its strategic direction,, the organization has expanded it geographic reach to the Halton Region, collaborating with partner agencies to provide culturally-appropriate, relevant and safe programming to the growing BAC communities in that region.
Our Board of Directors / 2022 - 2023
- Andrea Randall - President & Board Chair
- Althea Smikle-Brown - Vice President
- Carol Nicholson - Treasurer
- Arvind Krishendeholl - Secretary
- Patricia Wilson - Immediate Past President
- Colin McClean
- Leo Campbell
- Akinade Oduntan
- Douglas Carter
Mental Health & Wellness Teams
- Rachelle, Manager, Clinical Services, Mental Health & Wellness
- Amber, Clinical Team Lead, Clinical Services, Mental Health & Wellness
- Beatrice, Counsellor, Building Healthy Families, Peel CAS
- Danekia, Akoma Wraparound Navigator, Building Healthy Families, Peel CAS
- Henry, Akoma Wraparound Navigator, Building Healthy Families, Peel CAS
- Jacquline, Counsellor, Building Healthy Families, Peel CAS
- Janin, Counsellor, Fresh Start for Women
- Joseph, Counsellor, Men's Program
- Kailah, Client Services Navigator, Mental Health & Wellness
- Rabab, Counsellor, Student Family Advocate (Halton)
- Rasheedat, Counsellor, Student Family Advocate (Peel)
- Shanika, Enhanced Youth Outreach Worker
- Shauna, Manager, Special Projects, Mental Health & Wellness
- Adria, Community Health Ambassador, HPCS
- Andrea, Community Support Coordinator, HPCS
- Danielle, Community Health Ambassador, HPCS
- Jaleesa, Social Worker, SAPACCY
- Jamaul, Community Health Ambassador, HPCS
- Kim, Case Manager, SAPACCY
- Lilian, Community Health Ambassador, HPCS
- Mariette, Social Worker, SAPACCY
- Nyah, Administrative Assistant
- Queeneth, Case Worker, HPCS
- Teianna, Community Health Ambassador, HPCS
Social Wellbeing & Community Development Teams
- Natasia, Manager, Programs & Services
- Barb, Program Coordinator, Social Enterprising & Entrepreneurial Development (SEED)
- Davene, Assistant Coordinator, Healthy, Active & Wise Seniors
- Grace, Program Coordinator, Healthy, Active & Wise Seniors
- Izzy, Assistant Coordinator, Healthy, Active & Wise Seniors
- Maiko, Program Assistant, Programs & Services
- Nicole, Program Coordinator, Black Leaders of Tomorrow
- Rhona, Program Coordinator, ALT Children's Programs
- Angela, Executive Director
- Shane, Associate Executive Director
- Yvonne, Executive Assistant
Communications and Stakeholder Engagement
- Kristin, Manager, Communications & Stakeholder Engagement
- Stedman, Communications Coordinator
- Debra, Manager, HR & Operations
- Njideka, Volunteer Engagement Coordinator
- Kayla, Office Administrator
- Chelsea, Administrative Coordinator Anti-Black Racism & Systemic Discrimination Collective
To ensure we continually provide excellent and quality service to our communities, we embarked on an accreditation process in 2019, working toward meeting established standards for efficient and effective services.
Make a difference!
We cannot do it alone and so rely on you – our funders, donors, volunteers – to help us build a strong community that holds a brighter future for our children and youth, a peaceful place for our seniors, and a safe and clean environment for everyone. There are a few ways you can help to make a difference. Which one will you choose?Get Involved