Who We Are
For more than three decades Roots Community Services Inc. (RootsCS), formerly United Achievers’ Community Services Inc. has provided culturally-sensitive and culturally-enriching programs to the Black and Caribbean communities in the Region of Peel.
RootsCS has partnered with agencies of the federal and provincial governments, the Region of Peel, the City of Brampton, other community service agencies and businesses to deliver programs and services that helped individuals and families improve their livelihood, and contributed to building stronger, safer communities in the Region.
The organization was established by the United Achievers’ Club in the mid-1980s as the United Achievers’ Community Services to focus on addressing the needs identified primarily in the Black and Caribbean communities. It was incorporated in 1998 and in 2000, the organization received its charitable status, opening up the way to more funding opportunities.
The name was changed to Roots Community Services Inc. in 2019 after extensive consultation with the community, funders, clients, staff and volunteers.
The strategic focus and work of RootsCS is deeply rooted in the passion of its founders. That passion is to provide programs and services that reduce, if not eliminate, social inequities that are major barriers to the successful growth of strong families and individuals within the Black and Caribbean communities.
Over the years, RootsCS has developed unique capabilities and competencies that have given it recognition as an agency that advocates for and delivers services for improving the overall health and well-being of its target population. The organization hosts cultural, entertainment and educational events that have served to advance its progress towards being recognized as the hub for facilitating or fulfilling the needs of its client population.
Our Board of Directors / 2021 - 2022
- Andrea Randall - President & Board Chair
- Althea Smikle-Brown - Vice President
- Carol Nicholson - Treasurer
- Arvind Krishendeholl - Secretary
- Patricia Wilson - Immediate Past President
- Colin McClean
- Leo Campbell
- Akinade Oduntan
- Douglas Carter
- Angela Carter, Executive Director
- Grace, Program Coordinator, Healthy Active & Wise Seniors
- Jacquline & Charmaine, Counsellors, Building Healthy Families
- Janin, Counsellor, Fresh Start for Women
- Tasha, Program Coordinator, Black Leaders of Tomorrow
- Shane, Counsellor, Black Men Speak Up
- Norvett, Enhanced Youth Outreach Worker
- Rhona, Manager, Programs & Services
- Zeresha, Office Support & Bingo Coordinator
- Izzy & Davene, Asst Coordinators, Healthy, Active & Wise Seniors
- Curtis, Akoma Wraparound Worker
- Kailah & Andrea, Specialists, BAC Community Support Line
- Yvonne, Executive Assistant
- Karen, Bookkeeper
To ensure we continually provide excellent and quality service to our communities, we embarked on an accreditation process in 2019. We are in the second year of the three-year process with FOCUS Accreditation, during which we are working toward meeting established standards for efficient and effective services.
Make a difference!
We cannot do it alone and so rely on you – our funders, donors, volunteers – to help us build a strong community that holds a brighter future for our children and youth, a peaceful place for our seniors, and a safe and clean environment for everyone. There are a few ways you can help to make a difference. Which one will you choose?Get Involved